MELODY GARDOTInterviewed: December 9, 2009 (please disregard date above)
Beautiful, bluesy, jazzy and sprinklings of Latin notes, Melody Gardot continues to climb the jazz/blues scene with her soulful voice and captivating presence on stage. With influences ranging from Miles Davis, Janis Joplin, Duke Ellington and Caetano Veloso, Gardot blends together her own unique sexy soulful sound that draws in thousands worldwide. It's amazing when you consider that Gardot is only 24, but don't be fooled, she has been through quite the journey already.
SEXY RICE BALLS WITH UMEBOSHI PLUMSI’m excited to have the opportunity to interview Sarma Melngailis, who continually inspires me with her sexy, creative and healthy approach.
SARMA GETS DOWN TO BUSINESS
I understand that you were an investment banker turned chef. Now with Pure Food & Wine, One Lucky Duck and two cookbooks, what would you say has been your favourite endeavor and why?
That’s an interesting question! Working in finance feels like it was just some kind of preparatory endeavor, though I had no clue at the time. Even when I left after more than 5 years to go to culinary school, I still didn’t know what I wanted to do. Then I bumped into raw food. Then Pure Food and Wine was a first step, something I didn’t do on my own. Building and growing the One Lucky Duck brand I think is what it’s all about for me and the most fun part, (though being at the restaurant is fun because it’s so social, and it feels like a second home for me). There are so many fun things I want to do related to the One Lucky Duck brand and I want to do more books, more online, and a lot more with desserts… Desserts are the most fun, right?
With so much on the go and as a woman who is constantly evolving personally and professionally, what’s next?Another good question, and I wish I knew the answer. I know what I want to do, just not exactly how it will sort out. I really want the freedom to do and grow as I would like and in a way that’s best for the long term impact I’d want the company to have. Building a business while not feeling free or not yet having the right resources isn’t easy. This has been my biggest challenge for sure. So one way or another, more freedom comes next. I want to keep making raw food appealing and approachable, and fun, and bringing it to more and more people.
SARMA ON FOOD & LOVE
With so much on the go, what sexy foods have you found to be the best way of managing your stress?
Green Juice!!! For stress, definitely green juice. It makes everything okay. It’s my comfort food. If I was stressed out and I ate a bunch of cookies, raw or otherwise, or something heavy and more associated with ‘comfort food’ I’d only feel worse because eating when you’re stressed is so far from ideal. So green juice feels rational, makes me feel like I’m doing something good for myself… it’s like Superwoman fuel. We bottle green juice that is pressed through a juice press so it lasts for a couple days. My favorite is called Swan Greens… it’s cucumber, spinach, dandelion greens, pear, grapefruit, spearmint, tarragon and yuzu. It’s not sweet, but has just a little bit of fruit to make it not so green tasting. I’m totally hooked. It calms me. (And, I’m incredibly lucky that I can just go across the street and pick up quarts of it anytime.) Sometimes of course, a little bit of really good chocolate is soothing.
What foods would you recommend to be key to pro-aging and feeling great?
Pro-aging? You mean pro-staying-younger? J Green juice! Greens greens greens, and more greens. Lots of fresh foods… I eat almost exclusively raw food. If anyone wants to learn about staying young and feeling good, check out Mimi Kirk on facebook. She’s 71 and looks amazing, and has been vegan since she was 30. Since I became raw/vegan at 30, I’m hoping my chances are good for looking as young as she does at 71 are reasonably good. Though I know I stress out too much… I’d love to do more yoga, meditate, do all the things that keep you calm and grounded. But I have to do what I have to do. Back to food… I’d say as long as it’s really natural food, prepared with love, as corny as that sounds, and eaten with appreciation – that’s what will keep you healthy. I eat other foods now and then, but it’s always something someone made, or at a beautiful restaurant, or on a trip somewhere… so as long as it’s worth it.
Some people might find going on a completely raw food diet to be intimidating. What steps would you suggest to the average Jane who’s looking to improve her health?
Take out all the processed foods… and any animal foods that aren’t from a happy farm, or all animal food altogether. But more than anything I think knowing where your food comes from and eating with care is the first step. I think sometimes people focus too much on the “raw food diet” as an all or nothing way of eating. It’s like saying you’re either going to exercise consistently every single day, or not at all, ever. Why can’t you just shift towards it? See how you feel the more you eat fresh raw foods? Once you start it feels really good so you naturally gravitate towards wanting to eat more raw. The easiest way to start is with breakfast… keep it fresh, with fruit, fresh juice or for something more filling a raw granola or chia pudding. Eat more salad. Even if you’re still putting roasted almonds on it and shaved manchego cheese (one of my favorite salad creations of all time from pre-raw days = arugula, roasted almonds, shaved manchego, and quince paste dressing… SO YUMMY, but definitely not raw vegan). But anyway… I think the first steps are eliminating processed junky foods. It’s amazing how quickly they become completely unappealing. I spent years working in offices so I know how often there’s trays of muffins and cookies lying around after meetings, or birthday cake, etc. Having something like slices of dried papaya (so yummy) to chew on is a good defense! Or dried figs, or dates. Dates are like the most amazing sexy candy, and completely hit a sweet craving.
You must obviously find your find food sexy given how beautiful your dishes look in the restaurant, what would you consider to be your sexiest dish there?
Dessert is definitely sexy… chocolate.
We have a dessert now that’s three ice cream desserts on one plate: a dark chocolate covered chai creamsicle, a dark chocolate covered pistachio chocolate ice cream sandwich, and a dark chocolate covered curry coconut chocolate ice cream cone. (Oh wait, this is the one you mentioned in your intro!!) Everything is covered in dark chocolate… so I’m pretty sure it’s the sexiest dish. Also, because you can’t really eat it with a fork or a spoon, you’re sort of forced to eat it with your hands, which is definitely sexy. We have these moon pies and mallomars at One Lucky Duck that are also definitely sexy.
On the dinner menu, right now for sure the sexiest dish is one made with young coconut noodles.
They’re slippery and soft and light. Thai Coconut Noodles in Galangal Red Coconut Curry with Mung Bean Shoots, Heirloom Carrot, Papaya, Thai Basil, and Black Sesame. Again… it’s the fresh flavors but also the slipperiness of the noodles… yum…!
You must cheat…at least once in a blue moon. When you do eat out and cheat a little, what is your favourite dirty dish?
Oh good question. When I eat out at a nice restaurant I usually just want to eat something with interesting flavors. I love good grains too, like quinoa. I love quinoa. I also LOVE farro. If I want to cook something it would be farro risotto with wild mushrooms and truffle oil, with fresh thyme. Of course, it’s really good if the risotto is cooked in chicken stock and finished with some quality parmesan cheese. Shit, I shouldn’t have said that. I guess it’s hard having spent years cooking that way and knowing how much flavor things like chicken stock, butter, and parmesan can add to a pot of grains. OK, that also wasn’t a very dirty example… quinoa or farro are hardly scandalous. I guess my favourite cheat would be pizza… really really good crusty and cheesy pizza. I don’t ever eat a lot, but once in a while if I’m out with people (and I’ve been drinking) a few bites of someone’s cheesy pizza is really yummy.
What is your favourite cookbook that you turn to for recipes and inspiration?
I love food magazines, because everything in it is fresh every month. I can’t think of a favorite cookbook even though I have a huge shelf full of books. The food magazines, like Gourmet (RIP) and Saveur are really beautiful and I always find them inspirational. I also tend to always like British or Australian cookbooks and magazines. There’s some kind of clean simplicity about a lot of the recipes and photography.
What are the top 5 things you look for in a man and are cooking skills even one of them?
Another good question. Cooking skills are always nice, but more important is an appreciation for good food and ingredients. My guy really likes to cook and he’s good at it too but still learning. He’s incredibly kind, secure and doesn’t take himself too seriously, though he’s really good at and serious about what he does. And he’s sweet, thoughtful and insightful. And tall and super cute. And cuddly. I think I listed at least ten things.
Food aside, what does sexy mean to you and how can it apply to women today?
Sexy is all about the subtle things. Like how someone looks at you, and their energy and how you relate. Pheromones and all that I suppose. I think sexy for women is a nice balance between effort put towards being appealing vs. being totally natural. Certain clothes and make up can be sexy but not when there’s way too much effort put into it or it’s totally unnatural (for example I think perfume is completely unsexy, especially too much of it, and I can’t stand cologne on guys). Taking care of your self is sexy. And being strong and independent is sexy too. And open minded and adventurous and brave. Having a generous spirit is sexy too.
And lastly…chocolate or vanilla?
CHOCOLATE!!!
As always, I asked Sarma for her very own Sexy Food recipe to contribute to this month´s interview. Not surprisingly, she provided us with her green loving smoothie recipe...just one of the reasons why I love her. So to end off this interview, I will simply say...peace, love and green slurpies. Thanks Sarma.
SARMA'S GIANT GREEN SHAKE RECIPE2 lemons, peel cut away
2 limes, peel cut away
2 cucumbers, peeled n chopped
1 splash aloe vera juice
2 tablespoons thawed E-3 Live or powdered crystal manna
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons liquid stevia, or 4 to 5 packets powder stevia
A squirt of green tea extract
1 heaping tablespoon green powder
A wee pinch of Himalayan crystal salt
Now, stop here and blend the above to get your liquid base going… then add the following in batches, blending as you go, stuffing in as much green leafy goodness until you can fit no more.
1 bunch of parsley or cilantro, or both, stems and all
1 big handful sunflower sprouts if you can get them
1 bunch or more of kale, swiss chard, rainbow chard, collards, spinach, watercress or any combination of dark greens (dinosaur kale is my favorite).
Pineapple is also great as a fruit base.
Store whatever you don’t consume right away in a tightly sealed glass mason jar.You can eat it as is, or if you’re like me and sometimes you just desperately want to chew and crunch something more substantial, you can pour it over a bowl of some chewy crunchy substances, and eat it like cereal.
As a beautiful, successful business owner, Kristen Gale sets the stage for other female entrepreneurs opening the 10 Spot Beauty Bar on Queen Street West in Toronto at the ripe age of 24. Now at 28, Kristen is adding a second location in Leslieville to her roster. Her sexy, quirky approach breathes new life through her blog, Dating Myself where she chronicles her quest for balance and fulfillment. Along the way she bares all about love and friends, reveals a burning desire to steel grapes one fateful afternoon, demonstrates the walk of shame and profiles a show down between to ice cream trucks. Yes, Kristen Gale does it all.
Kristen's honest approach is refreshing and readers are easily able to connect with her. I had the wonderful opportunity to meet with Kristen at Insomnia Cafe here in Toronto for a bite to eat. Speed walking into the restaurant, Kristen is on a time crunch since her day is packed with meetings. Thankfully, she was able to squeeze me in for a tell-all about her life and her thoughts on love, sex and food.
KRISTEN GALE ON GETTING DOWN TO BUSINESS
Well I always knew that I wanted to open up my own business, which is one of the reasons I was a graphic designer first so that I could do all my own marketing. So when I got laid off and received a package, I was like, oh my God! I'm going to start my business soon! Three weeks later over pie with a friend, I remembered the nail bar that I lived above in New York City. So I went home and in one night wrote my business plan until 6am listening to Zaki Ibrahim's song, Grow on MySpace for a total of 63 times...seriously, it's such a good song.
So where did the name 10 Spot come from?
KRISTEN GALE ON LOVE & DATING MYSELF
After my two and a half year relationship, I realized I had prioritized him as number one so much, that everything wasn't just pushed down on the list but knocked off. So when I broke up with him in July of 2008, I realized I had to do a complete overhaul on my life. Problem was that we still stayed connected after the break up which is against my zero call policy after a break-up. In the past I was always the person being broken up with, but I suppose it was harder the other way around and to completely let go. It was tough waking up and thinking, I don't have anyone to go for breakfast with. And then you realize you can go to breakfast by yourself because you're super strong and super big. Slowly it gets easier.
Keeping in contact after a break-up just complicates things. So in January 2009, I didn't want to be a part of the tangled web. That's when I looked back and thought, okay, now it's time to be accountable. And that's when I started writing the blog and began dating myself. But initially it was kind of for fun. I began posting it on facebook and it just took off and grew from there.
When it comes to men, what are you looking for?
[Our food arrives and gets placed in front of Kristen]
Dude, you have to try some of these.
Wait I'm gonna salt these separately so you can have some edamame.
Do you find food sexy?
Other thoughts on food...
Okay...favourite cookbook?
So do you believe that in order to get into someone's heart, you should get at them with food through their stomach?
Crab cakes arrives]
So what are your plans for the future? Where do you go next?
And lastly, chocolate or vanilla?
[I look at the time...]
SEXY FOOD THERAPY RECIPE
KRISTEN'S SEXY CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL
- Grab a big soup pot and turn on the heat to medium with add a little olive oil in the bottom- Cut up large chunks of onion, celery and carrot – you want about two cups of each and add those to the pot – let them saute for a few mins (add some salt and pepper to taste)
- Buy one of those rotisserie chickens and take off all the meats and set the meat aside (actually put it in the fridge b/c this is gonna take a while)
- Add the bones to the pot
- Add about 4-5 whole cloves of garlic and about 4 Bay Leaves
- Add two cubes of that OXO chicken bullion cubes (trust me on this I did it without and it just tastes way too watery)
- Fill the pot with water to the top and cover – turn the heat way down and let it simma for as long as you can! The more time the better!
- After like 5 hours (no joke) pour the soup through a strainer (make sure to have a bowl to catch the yummy broth – I actually didn’t do that one time and poured out like half of what I spent 6 hours making.) Just toss (or compost) all the bones and veggies – all the goodness has been sucked out anyway, so don’t feel bad.
- Put the broth back in the pot and back on the stove.
- Add it to the broth!
- Remember that chicken meat! Pull it apart into bite sized bits (I like pulling rather then cutting) and add it to the broth!
- You can cook up some pasta (the shells are nice!) or some rice. I always add it separately to each bowl I make because I hate soggy pasta almost as much as I hate adds that use stupid animals...
I would have to say Japan. After living in Tokyo for a total of five years, the place revealed deep intricacies that cannot be described in words. The food is tied so much to the cultural and historical depth of Japan, that you really must take time to investigate how it is all woven together with the beauty of its simplicity.
While traveling did you ever find it challenging to eat right and if so how did you get around it?
I found that you can always find foods rich in protein and vitamins where ever you go - from tofu to cicadas. Food is a direct reflection of its country and its people. When traveling, I found it best to take a flexible and nondenominational approach to the food offered. Every group of people is proud of some cuisine that they prepare; and often they want to prepare it for you! While traveling, eating right means being flexible, polite and open to new dishes. You can tell a real traveller by how meal time is handled. I also found that a macrobiotic diet is the best way to balance your food intake.
Can you share a couple of pointers for eating healthy for travelers?
Keep away from complex dishes. If you can't recognize it, skip it. There are usually several options. Ask questions about the ingredients, often MSG goes in last (particularly in Asia), so beware. Eat according to agricultural landscape, for instance, avoid salt water fish in a land-locked country. Eat where locals eat and avoid empty restaurants.
What advice would you offer to other women about how they can make a difference and help them spread their love and generosity to those who need it?Women are creatures with immense strength. They suffer and give birth; and are a reflection of Mother Earth herself. If all women lived to their highest potential in strength, truth and dignity, they could change the world forever.
I always say that men also have a role to play, because a bird cannot fly with one wing. Both sexes must unite together for real change to manifest in terms of love and generosity all around the world. It first starts with loving yourself.
SYLVIA ON LOVE, SEX & FOOD
When you approach food on the same level as art, its sexy.
When you do eat out and cheat a little, what is your favourite dirty dish?
Fondant aux chocolates
What is your favourite cookbook where you find your greatest food inspiration?Jamie Oliver At Home
Do you believe that in order to get through someone's heart, that you have to get to them through their stomach?
This is possible if you charge the food with love and light; reiki and put loving intentions into every step. Then the food becomes magic and heals from within.
Who cooks and does the dishes?
Both equally.
What was your biggest craving while being pregnant and how far did you go to get it?
Lemons and frozen apple juice at 3am. I went as far as my freezer.
Food aside, what does sexy mean to you and how can it be applied to women today?
Sexy means to know thyself and be present and honest with yourself. Stand in the eye of the storm and embrace your inner strength. Don't follow the crowd and the fears you might have.
And lastly, chocolate or vanilla?
That's like yin without the yang. Both.
SEXY FOOD RECIPE
Upon meeting Sylvia in Toronto and talking to her about Sexy Food Therapy, she asked me for a healthy chocolate pudding recipe. Below is what I created to help satisfy her sweet tooth. When asking her to donate her favourite healthy recipe, Sylvia had asked me to share this with readers as her favourite. Enjoy.
2 tbsp organic smooth almond butter
1 tsp pure and organic vanilla extract
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup organic coconut milk
1 tbsp unpasteurized honey
In a blender combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into champagne flutes or wine glasses, freeze for about 1/2 hour (be careful that they don't topple over) or top pudding with chopped or slivered almonds, cacao nibs or berries and eat right away as is.
Serves 2.







