I suppose it's to be expected, but truly, you really do see a side of your partner when you live with one another. Most of the times, the side you see is a child that can be indearing, but at times, down right annoying. I love this boy...er...man, I really do. But we have indeed, reached a new level. Now I'm not saying I'm a piece of cake to live with - I have my downfalls too. Maybe I'm just a little irritable today and or just began writing this entry without breakfast in my belly or a hot cup of something to soothe me.
Taking a deep breath in, I walked away from my laptop to put on the kettle and there it was, my clean pots and pans, hogging up every burner I had. I wondered, why not put them away rather than leave each clean one on the stove? I shrugged it off, put them away and turned on the stove to warm the underbelly of my kettle. Knowing I had a good five minutes to kill before the kettle was ready, I figured I'd make my way to the washroom. Sitting half cock-eyed, I reached over and there it was...an empty roll of toilet paper. Typical. Okay, I'm reaching an all-time level of crankiness...which maybe I should just blame on the spring. Yes, believe it or not, there is a correlation between the seasons and our emotions. The organ that pertains to the spring is the liver, which has the pivotal role of making sure that energetically, things flow smoothly. When they don't, we get what Chinese Medicine would call, liver qi stagnation or simply down right irritable and frustrated. The spring has the tendency to either make us feel revitalized after a long winter, or make us feel frustrated and stuck.
Now I'm not saying I feel stuck but I will admit that egg shell walking has been a new act that the Intellect has mastered these days. So while preparing food later that evening, I thought about the kinds of food that would help me feel a little less frustrated and in better spirits. I decided to make a side of my Sexy Beet It Slaw. It's simple and really easy to make, which is exactly what I need - quick and easy.

SEXY BEET IT SLAW
1 large organic beet
1 medium organic carrot
1 medium apple
3 cloves organic garlic
Small handful parsley
1 tbsp organic olive oil
Juice from 1/2 an organic lemon
1 tbsp unpasteurized honey
Sea salt & cracked pepper as needed
Throw all ingredients into a mini chopper and chop until fine. Done.
Just a note about the carrots. Please leave the skins on! Just wash them well, and use as is. The skin is where a lot of the nutrients are!
I know that some people don't really like beets, but I love them. I love cutting into them and seeing their rings and marvel at their colour. When I was little I would sit and watch cartoons all the while cramming my hand down a bottle of pickled beets - must be the Russian in me. Tom Robbins once said, "The beet is the most intense of vegetables." Intense beet for an intense girl, I thought.
From a Chinese Nutrition Therapy standpoint, the beet is considered a blood tonic and helps the liver with the smooth flow of qi (or energy). So once that qi is flowing smoothly, we feel more revitalized versus stuck and stagnant. From a western standpoint, beets contain betaine which helps to move bile through the system carrying away toxins and facilitating digestion. So when things are cleared away, we feel better and possibly less irritable. Perfect food given the circumstance.
As for the Intellect and my current live-in situation...
Yes, he has a tendency to sprall out like a dog, belly up, on our shag rug. However, I hog the blankets during the night and sleep on an angle leaving him only inches from falling off the bed.
When I just want us to go to bed and he tells me just a minute, I catch him trying to sneak in a couple more pages of his textbook that he secretly reads as though it were porn. However, I have a food, sex, and love fact obsession. I hunt and slaughter them out of their publications and keep a bunch of useless facts on me in case I might need them...in the next 100 years.
So we both have our quirks and truthfully in relationships, I'm learning you really can't sweat the small stuff. Because in my relationship, the good far out-weighs the bad. He's understanding, supportive and takes care of me after a nightmare. He leaves me photos of us and a sticky telling me that he loves, loves, loves me to death. And as much as I can, I do my best to make him feel just as good. I cook for him and at times, I'll leave chocolate in his shoe (but 10% of the times, I'll admit, I get so tempted, I eat them before he gets to it).
So for now, I suppose the Virgo thing to do is to leave him a map of our 5 x 10 kitchen so he knows that the pots go under the stove and not on it. And even though his farts can be stinky at times - so can mine. Hmmm...I'll admit, this has got me thinking...
...maybe revenge can be just as sweet...or in this case, just as stinky.
Now we're talking. ;)





3 comments:
Your so funny! And I love beets, too, and I'm not even Russian! I wish someone would leave me chocolate in my shoe!
Hmm...chocolate in the shoe huh? ;)
It's all about accepting them just the way they are!
I'll have to make that slaw sometime soon.
I felt like I was reading about my own life! I've gone through exactly the same things with My Man, except for the chocolate in the shoes...his shoes smell too bad :)
Post a Comment