So I've been a little busy these days. Okay, I lie, I've been crazy busy...but loving it. With studying, working, rebranding my business, Fundraising For Faya and writing articles, I've had no time for worrying about the future or dwelling in insecurity. So when it comes to men and having no time, I've decided to plunge into the Lava abyss. Yes ladies, I have entered the world of Internet dating. These days more and more people all over the city are logging in with the hopes of connecting (in whatever form that may be). So with many of us not having the time to head out to the bars night after night, I wonder, "Is Internet Dating the New Convenience Food?"As I conduct my research like a nosey little bugger, more people around me shyly admit to their past or present Internet dating use. I am suprised to find out that many of my gorgeous, successful friends have done it. Here are some examples:
Diane: "Online dating worked out great. My date was such an asshole that I ditched him and by fate found my husband sitting next to him at the bar."
Sarah: "I'm done for now. I've noticed that some men love to hide behind their computer screen and create their own fictitious life."
Jen: "I met my boyfriend on Lava and have been with him for two years. We're scouting out our next apartment."
Robin: "Ya, I've dated online. Even the times when I thought I was talking to cardboard, I still enjoyed my free dinner."
Now there are those who join these Internet communities and become online obsessed. Night after night they sit until all hours of the morning scanning profiles and joining a series of different communities out there. They become "virtually promiscuous." So are these people filling the scene with obsessive people making the whole scene less approachable? Afterall, the whole idea still seems a little taboo. I mean I was always curious about it and only heard of people doing it but now I was no longer a virgin.
The difference this time of my dating go-around is that I simply don't care. I'm not hoping or anxiously waiting for Mr. Right to trot in, instead, I'm channeling all my energy into the million and one things I have on the go and concentrating on me. Instead I'm having fun and best of all, it's on my time and my schedule. This Internet thing couldn't be any more convenient.
So with trying to keep my life in balance, my food definitely follows. Most of the time, when we've got so much on the go, it's easy for sexy food to fall by the waste side. Problem is, when we give up on food, we neglect ourselves. Without it, we don't have the proper tools to make our powerhouse potentials run to it's full capacity.
So here are some tips that I find work for me:
1) Let soup be thy saviour.
It's almost impossible to make soup for one unless you're cracking open a can. So making soup allows you to have enough for days.
2) Make enough for a tree logging community
Whether it's my steel cut oatmeal porridge in the morning or the salad I make for lunch, I make enough to last for days. The days ahead become a breeze since everything is already pre-made.
3) Get in touch with your inner McGuiver
Be creative with left overs. Left over salmon or chicken can be cut up and thrown into pasta or wraps for lunch the next day. They're always useful, so think out of the box!
4) Embody Monica from Friends & Be a Planner
Think about the kind of meals that you're likely to eat and plan ahead. It's way easy to fall prey to dirty food when sexy food isn't available.
I typically go through phases, but this time, it's salads and soups. Now during the colder months, eating raw is not the best way to go. In fact, in Chinese Nutrition Therapy, too much raw can injure the Spleen (which has a major role in digestion). Raw foods are cold and too much of it will kill all digest fire. So since I love getting creative with my salads, I've figured out a way to be a little raw from time to time - just add heat. By sauteing thick slices of garlic in some ghee (or clarified butter), plus mustard and chili flakes to my dressing, my salad has enough heat to kick my digestive fire into action.
The best part of this recipe is the thick sausage strips of tempeh that I saute until crispy in ghee. For those of you who haven't tried it, tempeh is crushed soybean curd that comes in a square patty. It's fermented and much healthier than it's processed tofu brother. The only thing I caution with soy is to not over do it. When transitioning into sexy food from dirty food, people tend to overload on soy (especially vegetarians). So I always advise clients to go for no more than a couple servings a week. Too much soy can lead to allergies, and a disruption of the thyroid gland. Fermented types of soy are best since it makes digesting a lot easier.
So here it is, my Sauteed Tempeh Mixed Greens with Kick. Please note this recipe will yield enough for two days. Just store the dressing separately.
SAUTEED TEMPEH MIXED GREENS WITH KICK
1 package basil tempeh cut into 6 sausage strips
4 medium sized organic mushrooms cut into slices
2 medium sized organic carrots
1 organic beet
Handful mixed organic greens
Handful organic curly parsley roughly chopped
4-5 large cloves organic garlic
2 Tbsp organic ghee or butter
1. Saute strips of organic tempeh on medium to high heat on each side until brown and crisp. Turn over until all sides are brown and crispy. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl add mixed greens, parsley and sliced mushrooms.
3. In a mini chopper add carrots and beets and chop up until fine and well blended. Add to salad. If you don't have time you can leave this out completely, but I love this addition to my salad and this amount will give you a good 3-4 days worth.
4. In a small sauce pan on medium heat, add sliced garlic in butter or ghee. Saute up until slightly golden and crispy. Be careful not to burn it.
5. Add slices of tempeh onto salad and top with garlic. Drizzle with salad dressing below & enjoy!
SWEET LEMON MUSTARD DRESSING
3 Tbsp organic olive oil
1 Tbsp organic stone ground Dijon mustard
Juice from half a lemon
Stevia to taste
Mix all ingredients in a small jar and shake.
I love this salad and it always looks so impressive when I bring it with me to work. Not to mention, I feel good and have a ton of energy as a result. Much needed with this much on the go.
Now when it comes to me and my love life, the one thing that brings me comfort can be summed up in one word - absolute. When I read the definition, two had resonated with me:
Absolute:
"...totally unconditioned, unrestricted, pure, perfect, or complete" en.wiktionary.org/wiki/absolute
"Whole in it self." blackyon.com/glos.htm
It isn't the sum of two things, nor can it ever be divided, being absolute is whole just the way it is. So while falling at the risk of sounding narcissistic, I'm now making me first and men second. As a busy, determined woman, it was great to finally look at myself and realize that I finally didn't need an accessory to make myself feel more beautiful.
Nothing has ever felt so refreshing.





1 comment:
Hi Melissa, I love the sound of that fiery dressing. When I need sexy food and the fridge is bare, my standby is cooked brown rice with slivers of raw garlic and melted butter. Yum, comfort food supreme!
I agree about the importance of fermented soya products being more digestible. Just a pity that tempeh does not float my boat - any other ideas?
I love your use of organic greens etc - organic means you get more nutrients and less toxins. Super sexy!
But hey! Why not enter this post in my real food blog competition? It could not get more real than this!
Deadline 8 October midnight GMT
http://realfoodlover.wordpress.com/2008/09/01/our-daily-bread-blog-competition/
I think internet dating is marvellous way to keep the flirty muscles toned-up...
Post a Comment