I have to admit, I've never babysat. I'm not even an aunt...yet. Simply put, babies were never something I fantasized or thought about. I spoke with friends and together we almost sounded like a lobbying group for women with major baby borders. Maybe it was vanity, but who wanted the screaming little buggers who wet themselves and require constant attention? Sarah for one was convinced just like me that babies were out of the question...until that is, it caught up to her...the Baby Boogie Monster. Being completely non-existent all our lives, is it possible that we could be caught and hypnotized to think that we would want to join the chubby legged posse?As I walk down my tree lined street, occasionally I find myself hopping over toys spilling onto the sidewalks. In the local grocery store, moms are wheeling in their eighteen wheeler strollers down the aisles as they pick up the new variety of organic animal crackers - wheat free. And time and time again, I cringe as Dale, my fellow co-worker at the Dispensary predicts my four children future. But, "You're so good with children". Yes, this is true, I do have a maternal bone. I crouch down to their level, entertain them and coo at them. I have an uncanny ability to hold them in my arms and watch as those around me marvel at how babies suddenly become subdued. I'm literally a walking St. John's Wort...for babies. However, I've never had the urge to have one. I've always felt comfortable in my non-stretched out skin and happy with my freedom. But just recently I am beginning to question whether my baby border might be opening up.
Sarah on the other hand was completely taken down by the Baby Boogie Monster. Catching herself speaking in baby talk to pink shiny toddler shoes, she knew she was in trouble. The other night in the Estrogen Den, Sarah looked up at me and out of the blue asked in a wishfully breathy voice, "Have you ever had a baby fall asleep on you?" In complete shock at who this strange person was on my couch I grabbed my tea, took a sip and coughed up a, "No." I didn't know what to say. If anything, I felt embarassed to say that I had zero baby experience on my life resume. Truth be told, the only things that had ever fallen asleep on my chest was a man and a dog...both relatively interchangable.
However, Sarah's abduction did make me question the possibility and soon, before I knew it, I was flirting with the idea of being a mom one day. However I began to think about the Chinese philosophy of tian kui which is about explaining a woman's growth cycles in 7 year increments. So why seven years? The number seven is said to be a yang number. A woman on the other hand is said to be more yin out of the two sexes. So a yang number is required as an active force to move and make things grow and prosper. After the forth cycle of seven years (in other words, when a woman is twenty eight), it is said that women are the strongest and most powerful. After the fifth cycle of seven (at the age of thirty five), this power begins to decline. Has this stopped women of having babies well into their forties? Absolutely not. So am I phased? Not in the slightest.
While I can bashfully admit to wanting my own one day, I am also not opposed to the idea of adoption should that be my only option. Nonetheless, I still do my best to take care of myself. In Chinese Nutrition Therapy for example, the kidneys are a major source of vitality, reproduction and where our life essence is stored. Whereas in Ayurveda (East Indian Medicine), it is always a good idea to look for ways that will help increase ojas (vitality or vigor) in the system. So with the cooler months ahead, there isn't a better time to provide you with a warming food that I crave and that I use every day. Ghee.
In Ayurveda, ghee is a foundational ingredient. Surprising to some, ghee is simply butter that has been boiled down until a crusty white layer on the top forms. After straining, or scraping off the top crusty layer, you are left with none other than liquid gold. Now before you go thinking that it's too fattening, understand that I use it every day and still maintain my 125lb weight...no problem. Ghee contains essential fatty acids without the problems of oxidized cholesterol, trans-fatty acids or hydrogenated fats. Not to mention, it's lactose free. Other therapeutic benefits include bettering digestion, increasing mental alertness, and being touted as a fountain of youth. However, when it comes to fertility, ghee possess the potential powers to increase the quality of semen and ovum. So just before you jump on the margarine marketing bandwagon, realize one thing. Margarine is fake food, with some brands still containing traces of the chemicals used in the processing of the product like aluminum and nickel. Butter on the other hand is real and still has traces of vitamins, minerals and even some protein. Ghee on the other hand, is butter taken up a notch.
So here it is...
SEXY MOJO GHEE
1 pound organic butter (organic is key)
4 whole cloves
Place butter and cloves in a pot on medium heat until melted.
Turn heat down to medium to low.
Butter will crackle and pop and a white crusty layer will form.
Once the popping stops, remove from stove and allow to cool.
Scrape off the top layer and pour liquid gold into a glass jar.
*The white crusty layer that you scraped off is delicious on bread and contains an enormous amount of nutrients. However, if you're lactose intolerant, I would strongly advice against it.
So enjoy a little bit of ghee without the worry or guilt. Life is about balance and so long as you're eating a diet of real, whole foods, then there's no reason why a little fat wouldn't be good for you. As for the Baby Boogie Monster, I'm not too sure if Sarah will ever return or if this is simply a phase. And while I can't say I've joined her in her baby walking daze, I can say that I might just have become more open to the possibility of one in the future. Until then, I am more than happy to put a hold on the bottle and watering my plants instead.





2 comments:
I have to agree with you key to life is balance. And for your friend Sarah I don't think is a phase.
At my own age, my bioligical clock should be going off like crazy, yet I feel nothing. So you guys are not the only ones.
Post a Comment