Dating isn't all that easy. In fact, I'm sure many of you can relate that it can get a little frustrating at times. As much as I'd prefer to ditch the rules, maybe they (whoever they are) were right when they said it's all one big game. So when it comes to dating men, is it necessary to beat them at their own game? My mother: Melissa, I never chased after your father, so don't ever chase after a man. You're too good for that.
While I was thinking about Mr. Director, I wanted to channel my energy elsewhere. All this information from my friends and overanalyzing the situation was driving this Virgo crazy. So I sent myself straight to the kitchen to use my energy for what I love most. Food.
Looking in my fridge I remembered that several days ago I purchased a large bottle of pomogranate juice. Now couldn't be a better time to make something sweet - the taste of pleasure.

Pomegranates, which originated in Persia have been used culturally for centuries. A Turkish bride for example would throw the fruit on the ground and count the number of seeds that would pop out to predict how many children she would have. In Brazil, I remember using the pomegranate for the New Year's celebration of Imanja, the African deity of the ocean. Prior to jumping over seven waves, and throwing white flowers into the ocean, my family and I dressed in white and sucked on seven pomegranate seeds and wrapped it in a piece of tin foil. Neatly tucked away in my wallet, the seeds sat as a representation of love, hope and abundance for the year to come.
So as I pulled out the pomegranate juice bottle I couldn't help but hope for the same. So I created the one thing I loved - I made pomegranate molasses. Thick, syurpy pomegranate molasses have been used to compliment a variety of dishes from pork to chicken and to sweetening various compotes. All so yummy.
If you crack open the fruit, you’ll receive a clue of one of its key benefits – red blood cell production. It strengthens the bladder and has a high amount of vitamin C and is considered a superfood here in North America. I’ve also added kudzu to this recipe which is an alternative to corn starch and a nutritive way to thicken sauces, soups and other mixtures. In Chinese Medicine it has been used to relieve acute pain, headaches, fevers and has been used for digestive imbalances as it soothes the stomach and intestines.
Best all, it's easy to make, so in my opinion, there's no point in buying it. Many recipes I've seen are loaded with sugar. The recipe below uses stevia as an option, because really, it's sweet enough, so I recommend adding it to taste.
SEXY POMEGRANATE LOVE SYRUP
4L bottle of Pomegranate juice (I use Black River which seems to be the most pure)
Juice from half an organic lemon
1 tbsp kudzu
2 tbsp water
Stevia powder to taste
In high heat, bring pomegranate juice to a boil. Turn heat down to a medium to low temperature and simmer until juice reduces to half the amount.
Add lemon juice and stir.
In a separate cup, mix in kudzu rocks and water and mix into a pastey liquid.
Take pomegranate liquid off the stove and mix in kudzu mixture. Stir until pomegranate liquid becomes thick and syrupy.
Allow molasses to cool and add to a small jar and refrigerate.
Use this mixture as a marinade on chicken, pork or red meat before grilling.
While I lick my fingers of this sweet syrup, I can't help but wonder how I got so out of touch with the whole dating game. Was it the five years of being with someone, trusting and loving him that would make me completely forget about anything outside of it? So now that I'm single and on the scene for the past year, I'm realizing that how I choose to deal with it is up to me. My friends will always be there to support and love me for who I am and tell me that I'm too good for whatever shit comes my way. That's what they're there for.
In the meantime, I've decided to hell with the game. Instead, I think I'd rather go with my heart, exercise common sense and trust my intuition. Whether it's about food or people, your gut will never lie, so trusting it is the only way that I believe we can ever truly win.





No comments:
Post a Comment