Monday, February 23, 2009

Your Sexual Alter Ego

The other day over brunch, I sat with a bunch of girlfriends gobbling up runny eggs and treating ourselves to champagne and orange juice. The conversation got not only a little dirty, but fun. One of my friends mentioned she was dating someone painfully shy, but behind closed doors he unleashed himself. Another girlfriend laughed and said that one guy embodied his career - an actor. She never knew what to expect. All this discussion about the person behind closed doors made me question, do we have a sexual alter ego?
According to Wikipedia, an alter ego is a, "second self, a second personality or a persona within a person." Just take a look at celebrities for example. David Bowie and Ziggy Stardust or even Tupac Shakur with his alter ego, Makaveli. Maybe it's simply allowing for the means to free their inner character in a way they never would have done as themselves.

A sexual alter ego, as I'd like to call it, is much of the same. The only difference, is that this time, it's behind closed doors. No this isn't the kind where you combine your first pet's name and the first street you lived on, this is completely different and on some level, I believe we all do it (pun intended). However when your beneath the sheets with someone new, it can even be a little shocking. All of sudden, you realize you're romping around with someone completely different.

Here is what some women had to say:

Nancy: I slept with this one guy who in person was the most power hungry man I had ever met. But behind closed doors he wanted to be whipped, tied and spanked. At first, I couldn't do it, but when I found out that he was sleeping around, I happily accepted.

Laurie: I couldn't believe what he was saying...infact, I couldn't understand it. He began speaking Japanese to me that he picked up when he was travelling there. Apparently, this beer-chuggin' Maritimer actually wanted to get in touch with his Asian counterpart.

Anna: When I was first introduced to this girl, she was the most innocent little thing I had ever met. Next thing I knew, she locked the laundry room behind us and began barking and ordering me around...kind of hot.

Now while we'd like to focus on other people's sexual alter egos, we have to be honest and realize that we might have one of our own. So as I sat in my favourite room in the house (no, not my bedroom, the kitchen damn it), I started to wonder who my sexual alter ego was.

I begun sharpening my knife and wanted to create something which I could really sink my teeth into without having to unbutton my jeans. And before I knew it, my healthy dish came out completely phallic...I suppose that's what you get when you can't stop thinking of sex and food. Could be worse I guess.


SEXY SAUSAGE STUFFED SQUASH
1 butternut squash
1/2 package of hot Italian sausage cut into small chunks
1/2 red onion
4 cloves garlic
1 small handful arugula
3 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp goat cheese
1 small handful pecans & walnuts
1 tbsp maple syrup for drizzling
1 tsp chilli flakes (or more depending on your preference)
Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400F.
Cut butternut squash in half and drizzle with 3 tbsps melted coconut oil. Sprinkle with salt and place face down on a parchment lined baking sheet and let bake for 45 minutes. On the half way mark, you'll need to flip it over so that it cooks thoroughly.

In the meantime, combine chopped garlic and onion in a saucepan with 1 tbsp coconut oil and saute until caramelized. Add in chopped sausage and add in chili flakes. Cook on medium to high heat until sausage is thoroughly cooked. Add in maple syrup and nuts and stir until well combined.

Check to see if squash is ready (simply poke around with a fork). If ready, remove from oven and place on the stove while you continue to prep the stuffing mixture.

Add in the arugula at the very end of the stuffing mixture and combine lightly. Stuff the squash and finish by adding in the goat cheese.

Return the squash to the oven to heat thoroughly.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper and enjoy!

As I sat there with this monstrosity of a meal, I decided to cut it in half. Portion control ladies...even though it's so good, doesn't mean you have to eat for two. I wrapped the other one up and saved it for lunch. Now it's only fair to make others around you jealous as they chow down on their dirty take out from down the street while ogling your Sexy Sausage Stuffed Squash. I can hardly say the name of this dish without giggling.

Cooking with root vegetables and baking them is ideal for the cold winter months. It's been almost -20 with the wind chill here and eating warming foods like squash and soup are the only way to go. Just try serving it with a large green salad to balance things out. I always try to have something green at EVERY meal. It balances a heavy meal with something light and is amazing for purifying our blood and giving us energy. During the winter it's easy to pack on additional weight, but trying to be active several times a week will help to keep things in balance. Spin class is one of my favourites, but that's probably because I love the intensity of it. Otherwise, doing yoga is also amazing or a combination of the two. Not to mention, eating a diet of whole foods will help you to avoid the dirty sugar, sodium and chemical based foods that are widely available. People always ask me how I'm able to enjoy my goat cheese, sausage and butter while still maintaining my weight? My answer? Balance. I don't eat them every day, but allow myself the freedom to enjoy them several times per week. Sometimes guilt is much worse than the act itself.

Speaking of the act, you're probably wondering what's my sexual alter ego? Well, I can tell you this...

I am amazed at how people view sex as dirty (probably why we have so much intimacy issues here in North America). I think it's beautiful and truly an area where we can enjoy ourselves and a significant other. It provides us with the ability to trust someone and the freedom to have the kind of fun that we'd normally resist from having otherwise. But as for me, while I tend to be quite explicit in this blog, my sexual alter ego (which I'll admit to having) will continue to wear a smirk and gladly be kept behind doors.

Sorry guys...

No comments: