Being on top is always the best position to be in. You feel sexy, powerful and in control. No I'm not talking about that...get your mind out of the gutter now, would ya? I'm talking about the feeling you get when you're on your game and today was my day...I ran out of my little apartment and had a mission. I was going to tackle the Vatican, St. Peter's Basilica, Piazza Navona and the Spanish steps. I was going to eat antipasto and have the best gelato Rome could offer.
Bypassing the tour guides extending their flowery umbrellas for their crowds to follow, I was off and snapping photos like a mad woman. Once I got the best shots I could muster, I was OFF to St. Peter's Basilica. Taken a back by how enormous it was, I thought...geez, that's a lot of ground to cover and I still have so much left to see!
[Enter hunger]
Shut up, you'll get fed soon enough. Now quit your whining... **The last part of that must be said in a Scottish accent that Mike Meyers did in, So I Married an Ax Murderer.
Snapping photos, shoving past people, I was out of breath, turned around and needed someone to take a photo of me. Handing the camera over, sucking in my stomach, I pretended to look relaxed and sssssmiiiiile. Then I was OFF again!
[Scene cuts to an overhead view of Melissa running frantically around St. Peter's Basilica snapping photos appearing to be a firefly. Down she goes across the bridge and into Piazza Navona like someone on the Amazing Race.]
I stopped and out of breath looked around and then there it was again...
[Scene cuts to an upclose shot of Melissa's stomach eating itself]
Sitting down on an outdoor patio, I ordered something light since I didn't have time to waste. There was still gelato to get and then the Spanish steps. And maybe, just maybe I could squeeze in a run later if **sniff** this post nasal drip would just bugger off. Soon enough I was greeted by none other than a man who wore the biggest perma smile a person could muster.
Somehow this crazy waiter of mine convinced me that I didn't want just one glass of wine but a mini bottle that would give me just over two glasses (um ya, like three glasses later...liar). Taking to my first glass, I had to remind myself, you can't race through wine Melissa. That's when it hit me (no not the wine) but, maybe he wasn't trying to convince me that I wanted a mini bottle, but rather needed it given my little frantic state.What was wrong with me and why would I ever try to rush through Rome? I hesitate in saying this but...Rome wasn't built in a day (sorry, I couldn't help myself)
Almost done my first glass, I finally was able to really take in my surroundings. I was in the Piazza Navona and so far, it's my favourite with it's beautiful fountains, buskers and restaurants that adorn the lining of the square.
It was then that my quirky little waiter slapped a basket of bread and my antipasto which was simple yet perfect (for now) since I was determined to get the two biggest scoops of gelato that this little girl could dream about. Granted here is another fruit and meat combo, so what did I do for my sensitive little digestive system? I brought with me some digestive enzymes to make it all go down a little easier. Happily wrapping my melon in proscuito I immediately slowed down and savoured...
I looked up again and scanned the piazza, looked up at the tower that stood directly across from me and began to cry. No, not because I was sad, but because I knew it would be a while until I was back here again and I didn't want to give up this moment. I loved Rome so much: the food, the people, the architecture, the culture...you name it and if I couldn't have Roma, no one could.[Wrapping Roma up in a ball and stuffing it into my pocket]
Finally finishing off, I calmly packed up my things feeling a little tipsy and walked out onto the piazza. Suddenly I saw the world with different eyes now that I wasn't rushing things (and okay my wine goggles probably helped too...damn that crazy waiter).
I saw goregous fountains, artists drawing children, fairies giving out gems to children and cowboys camoflauged in grey paint waiting for money to be dropped in their tin.
The piazza was a breathing organism and I was inside of her. I walked around in a daze, sat by the fountain and took it in until...I'm still hungry...you think that's gonna do it?
My stomach still wasn't satisfied.
There was only one thing left to do: get gelato.
Having the perfect place in mind based on my guidebook, I made my way over to Piazza Maddalena when I realized the so-called best place in Rome was actually no longer. Luckily enough, Giolitti was just a stone-throw away. Corrected by a woman at the gelato shop, Giolitti was always the top gelato place and has been a major it-spot for politicians and celebrities alike. Their secret gelato recipes are well-guarded by the three brothers who took over the now-chain and I kid you not, your taste buds may just explode. But before my little taste buds had any part to play in this matter, I was still waiting for my two scoop raspberry chocolate combo. That's when my other sense kicked in...sight.
Nothing could have made me happy then to meet this man halfway and yank that sucker out of his hands. Morphing into a four year old, the pink and brown goodness dripped down the edges of my cone and all over my hands. But I didn't care. I was in gelato heaven and by God I loved it. This was no time to be sexy, this was time to eat gelato damn it. Not for a single second did I care about counting calories or thinking about the glycemic index of this treat. As I said before, I was going to take in all the passion and sexiness that Italian food had to offer. And truthfully, despite the big honking frozen treat above (which actually has fresh ingredients), Italy's cuisine is made up of whole, fresh ingredients. Granted, they do have processed foods in their world too, but their inherent whole food nature still sticks until today. Thank God.
Eating my cone and licking my sticky fingers, I finally made it to the Spanish steps as the sun was setting. My throat's a little tingly after that gelato, I thought. Probably not the best thing to eat when you're still somewhat kicking a cold. In Chinese Medicine you never fight a cold with a cold. Fresh ginger tea like the one in my Sexy Hot Cold Kicker would have been better, but it wouldn't have been gelato.
I digress...
Walking up the stairs and scooching my way past tourists and teens sprawled across the steps, I finally made it to the top.
There I watched the sun as it kissed the buildings it melted into. And just when I thought I had the perfect day, there it was...a tap. Looking over, a dark-complexion man smiled at me, passed me three red roses and said, beautiful flowers for a beautiful girl. He then...walked away.
Amazed, I grabbed hold of them and stuffed my nose into its petals. It was then I realized that the only person I've ever been racing against is myself, which is not uncommon. That maybe if we can take time to consciously tell ourselves to slow down or see the signs the world is giving us we might be able to appreciate something truly remarkable in our day that we otherwise would have missed.
And that's when I truly came out on top...





1 comment:
Oh, I am so going to Europe...awesome post.
Post a Comment