Thursday, October 15, 2009

Love

Roma will never short change you when it comes to love. She will make you fall in love with food, wine, clothes, a pet (which for some reason everyone walks a dachsund in this city) and possibly someone else. During my vacation here in Italy, I have fallen in love about 100 times with everything, especially the food and wine. How could you not? It's Italy afterall...

So waking up groggy, I turned down the espresso offer from my host here at the B&B and went straight to Sant'Eustachio Il Caffe just a stone throw from the Panthenon. After getting lost several times, circling various streets, I finally made my way to espresso heaven. Allow me to introduce to you my first love...Sant'Eustachio Il Caffe.

Now I heard the espresso here was good, but I had no idea just how good. Granted the service like most coffee joints I've been to is a little on the snarky side, but I think I just about died after my lips kissed my porcelian cup. After just a taste I had already packed up two cans of espresso beans, dark chocolate espresso beans, coffee liqueur and signed up for their mailing list...wait, I can't read Italian...

Okay, so I was a little java-jacked when I went to the register.

But truthfully, I normally opt for cappuccino for the creaminess, but their espresso can do just fine on its own thank you. Somehow, these guys have managed a thick creamy layer that delicately sits on top of a wickedly good little cup of espresso. And given that I'm still a little congested, espresso was just the thing I needed since it's a bronchiodilator. Please note: that if you have any inflammation of the lungs like bronchitis, it's best to avoid coffee since it may promote inflammation.

Getting down to the bottom and slirping away, the foam clung to my little porcelain cup. So in a very lady like way, I scooped the foam that hugged the cup with my finger and licked the cup clean like a bowl of cookie dough. Yum.

Next? On my way to see the Trevi Fountain and have Caprese salad and pasta.

Being a little firefly that I normally am with my camera, I snapped as many photos around as many heads that crowded the Trevi Fountain.

Feed me...said my stomach. Somehow in Italy, she seems louder than usual. Who could blame her?

So I was on a mission to find Ristorante Maccheroni which I read has some of the best pasta Rome has to offer. Looking for Piazza delle Coppelle, I was lost and circled five other piazzas in about a 5km radius from it and passed the same waiter about five times. He looked at me and smiled...

You are in Roma alone?
Yes and looking for Piazza delle Coppelle.

Kindly giving me directions, he said his good-bye and yelled out...Beautiful girl shouldn't be alone.

For the first time in a while I had a little twitch in my heart and really did miss having company. And in Rome, passion was everywhere including with their fascination with phalic symbols and piazzas - which is where it all happens. This must have something to do with sex and open spaces...kinky, I thought.

Finally finding Ristorante Maccheroni, a cute little corner bistro, I took a look at their menu and discovered my second love: Caprese salad.

This classic dish is actually from Campania in southern Italy, but I've always loved having this treat, even back home. So when big hunks of buffalo mozzarella came hugging fresh tomatoes and sprigs of basil, I was salivating.

Wipe your mouth Melissa...princess' don't drool.

Dipping my crusty bread into the olive oil and balsamic vinegar, I was in heaven and completely in love. Granted, having dairy is probably not the best choice to have when you're feeling congested because it promotes mucous in the body. But I just couldn't pass this up.

However I can't say much for the penne which was a little beyond al dente for my taste. The spicy tomato garlic sauce on the other hand was amazing and fresh. So finishing off my glass, I headed back to Piazza Navona where I fell in love just yesterday.

There I was surrounded by couples kissing and music being the energy and vibrancy that fueled them. It was then that I agreed to go out for dinner with someone who I had met just the other day and didn't mention. My intention was never to have anything romantic, but rather to be taken out for an enjoyable dinner and have a little company...that's all. As a perfect gentleman, he took care of the evening, told me about his life and we even strolled through yet another piazza with yes, another phalic symbol. Sitting on the steps, we chatted for a while and were approached by flower pushers.

No, no, no, no, no. I said to the flower pusher.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. He said smiling assuming this was a game. He is your love, no?

Correcting the little flower pusher I told him that my love was not this man or will be any other man on this trip. Calling it a night, I realized that my love is Roma...its food, culture and passion. But even Roma should ever replace the number one in our lives...ourselves. This trip is about me and only me. For now while on vacation, I'm really happy being alone. Sometimes even a beautiful girl is meant to be alone for a little bit to realize that love starts from within.

Thank you Roma...your lessons are abundant.

No comments: