Friday, December 18, 2009

Living the four-wheeled lifestyle

I feel like I should call this entry, meals on wheels or the lack thereof. But I think if I did, it would give you the impression that I'm 90 and weathered - so not sexy. I've briefly touched upon this topic before when I spoke about my Grumpy Elf status, so I thought I would elaborate a little more for those of you who might be living the four-wheeled lifestyle.

The four-wheeled lifestyle is a technical term for a somewhat living out of your car status. No, I don't actually live out of my car, but I'm sleeping over at so many friend's places, that my only main hub or port happens to be my ten year old silver Honda Civic (she looks good for her age). This four-wheeled beast has been home to my blow dryer, various shoes, jackets and deodorant. Somehow I feel I should be a little more grateful to my Civic, maybe even give it a name like Silverado Paco, Jane Honda or Honda the Incredible Hulk. It never complains, snores or hogs the sheets...more than I can say for my friends. I love you guys really...but there's no need to be a starfish in bed.

So this morning when I woke up, I took a second to remember which friend's apartment I was in, then got up and made my way to the fridge. I suppose I was hoping for golden light to shine when I opened that fridge this morning but instead, I got nothing but a bottle of ketchup and something that somewhat resembled mortadella. Rummaging through my purse for a protein bar, something please, I found only a bottle of chlorella. 10 little tabs washed down with water, I was out and on a mission.

Now I don't know about your city, but healthy options are severely limited in Toronto before 11am. I didn't want to go to Starbucks new breakfast offering of oatmeal with a million spoons of sugar or their egg sandwiches wrapped in glutenous crusty croissants. Can't do it. So I did what I had to do and made my way to the Carrot and with a hemp matcha latte and a spelt banana loaf later, I was off to the races. It did however teach me a little when it comes to eating on a 4-wheeled lifestyle. First of all, I need to remember to pack several bars (Chakra bars are my favourite) and a couple of Vega shake packs in my purse. And now that Jane Honda is going to be out there during the cold winter months, she practically doubles as a fridge - brilliant. So fresh fruit like apples and pears can easily be kept in her trusty back seat.

At times I get a little frustrated or feel panicked about this new way of life. So when I feel ungrounded, I eat more whole grains and warming foods to nourish my spleen (governor of the digestive system in Chinese Medicine) and bring myself down to earth. When I want to cry about this life in flight, I do what I do best: I eat, find humor and write in what I'd like to think is a humorous, slightly self-deprecating approach. A little laughter and remembering to say thank you this holiday season can go a long way. So...
Thank you to my friends who have lent me clean socks...even when they didn't really match.
Or for letting me use their iron when I forgot my flat iron...yes, that's how we use to do it in the good ol' days.
Thank you to Body Blue on the Danforth and their awesome winter collection...you've given me a reason to shop when I haven't had a change of clothes.
Thank you to my credit card that was able to squeeze a little of that awesome winter collection.
Thank you to the Big Carrot and the friendly, hippy, music bobbing staff...you make a killer hemp matcha latte.
Thank you to my Big Carrot card that enables me to buy a latte when I'm out of change.
And most importantly, thank you Jane Honda for getting me from A-Z even when you're on the reserve. This calls for an oil change, air in your ties and premium gas the next time I fill up...sorry for giving you the shitty stuff these past months.

Despite the highs and lows and my grumpiness, I really am grateful for all the help and support during a time of such major transition for me. I really do love you all....thanks and happy holidays.

No comments: