Friday, January 8, 2010

Sore Thumb

Tippy-toeing on ice skates I made it to the washroom. Grabbing some toilet paper, I heard some giggles and then saw it...a bunch of my female classmates peaking their head up from the bottom of the stall laughing and pointing. This was my first experience feeling like I didn't fit in...and ya, I was four. Even in class, I spoke too much (now I write too much) and somehow even growing up I managed to stick out like a sore thumb.

Don't get me wrong, I have a warm circle of friends that I'm incredibly grateful for, but it hasn't always been easy and I was reminded of it a couple nights ago when I attended a friend's opening. There I was surrounded by fake smiles and conversations about what they did, how much they made and what they owned. Feeling like I needed to keep up, I not only spoke a lot, but did so nervously. I began to have flashbacks of when I was in highschool and wanted to fit in with the cool crowd even though I didn't really like them. So that evening, I became nauseous as I realized that I was trying to fit in and prove myself to people I didn't really care about.

Need to get away, need an escape...oooh, I do believe I see a table of h'or d'oeurves. Mini crab cakes? Come to mama!
As I stood there at the foodie table, I began to wonder if my escape to leave various groups of people was obvious. Stop hoarding the crackers Melissa...the girl beside you is looking at you funny.

And if it was, so what? So what if I didn't fit in! I wasn't a sore thumb, I was a green thumb damn it and speaking of which, there was nothing on the table remotely green. Diving my hand into my purse, I found my little saviour...chlorella.

For those of you who don't know anything about it, I usually keep a stash in my purse right by my mascara. I usually pop a small handful of these tiny tabs for a little pick me up and to get my greens in where possible. They build blood, cleanse and detoxify the body, which means great skin, a youthful glow and more energy. Who doesn't need that? It is the most tonifying out of all the greens, but is one of the priciest as well. A bag of the Sun Chlorella-A I buy is anywhere from $25-$40 depending on the health food store. Other benefits include: anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, removing heavy metals from the system, benefiting Alzheimer's, seizures and nervousness. Not to mention, popping these little bad boys throughout an evening out prevented me from having a hangover the next day - no joke. Greens are the single most important thing that can be added into the diet. So is really hard to incorporate more of it? Hell no.

Politely walking back to the group of people I left, I said my goodbyes and made my exit with my head up high. I realized no, I didn't fit in and truthfully, I didn't want to. After all, why bother trying when maybe we should be comfortable and happy with who and where we are and what we have. Maybe then we'll realize that being green just might be easier than we initially thought.

No comments: