Monday, August 10, 2009

The Hot Date

Red lipstick...check.
Curled hair...check.
Butt lovin' three hundred dollar jeans...check.

I was brimming with excitement for my upcoming hot date. My tunes were on full and I was ready to go. Fixing my hair and straightening myself out it started...

Someone cue the butterflies! Aaaaand they're off in my tummy.

Turning to the door to make my way out, there was my date...
...me.

Yes, I cleared all my plans with friends and the Illustrator to have a night to myself. Tonight I was excited to go on my very own hot date...with yes, moi.

Sounds a bit strange I know, but every so often, I get this overwhelming urge to spend some quality time away from everyone and just be on my own. The last couple of months have been nothing short of a wind storm and I needed sometime to be with my own thoughts and escape from everyone. Don't get me wrong, sometimes there's nothing better than a night out with my crazy friends or being treated to dinner by a sexy someone, but tonight it was about me and only me. While some would prefer to spend a quiet night in, lounging in a pair of sweat pants (which dear God, I don't even own a pair of...yoga pants only thank you), I decided I was going to get myself dolled up and go to the movies.

You're going to the movies on your own on a Friday night?
Abso-fucking-lutely.

And before I go on, I have to confess a very dirty food guilty pleasure I have...popcorn and m&m's. It's almost as if sweet and salty combined into a love affair who simply can't be a part. In fact, even the sweetest dishes are given a dash of it's opposite salty friend, to bring out the sweet flavour. Then there are other times that they're combined at equal levels and their flavours compete in what feels like a sexual war...almost primal. And thankfully, here I am, able to witness it all go down and get in on the action...

Oh this is sounding dirty...and we're only talking about food here.

However I thought I'd attempt my own creation of this dynamic duo. So a part of my night began in my favourite place in my apartment...my shoebox kitchen. Before leaving for the evening, I shaked my booty to some music and licked the maple syrup off my finger tips. I realized that I had created the perfect movie snack:

SWEET & SALTY POPCORN LOVE

1/4 cup popcorn

2 tbsp coconut oil (Garden of Life or Bali Foods makes a great one)

1/4 cup maple syrup

1 handful gogi berries, cacao nibs, chopped nuts

1/2 tsp flaky sea salt

In a large pot, add 2 tbsp of coconut oil and popcorn on medium to high heat. Once kernels begin to pop, shake the pan constantly to prevent the kernels from burning. When the popping rate begins to drop, immediately remove from heat. Pour into a bowl and set aside.

Meanwhile in another large pot, add in maple syrup on medium heat and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and add in gogi berries, cacao nibs, chopped nuts and stir. Fold in gently popcorn and transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with flakey sea salt. Taste and add more if needed.

While there's no escaping non-organic popcorn in theatres, there is in the kitchen. Non-organic popcorn is one of the most contaminated foods and laced with toxic pesticides and chemicals. So I opted for the organic stuff instead. And if you remember previous posts, corn goes right to the heart meridian which helps to promote joy. I like the sound of that...

I've used gogi berries which pairs amazingly with cacao nibs. The dark bitter flavour of cacao is enhanced not only from the maple syrup but beautifully interwoven with gogi berries. Not to mention, they're both incredibly high in antioxidants, so get ready folks this is the superfood popcorn snack of the century.

In the meantime...

I walked over to the theatre with my stash of popcorn hidden in my purse and sat down to watch the latest and greatest food film. The theatre's energy was on high and buzzing with a full house of women and their surrogate gay boyfriends all waiting to see a movie about Julia Child and Julie Powell. Julia Child was a food legend and wrote the book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Julie Powell on the other hand was a disgruntled insurance worker and created a blog about cooking every one of Child's recipes for one full year. It became so successful that she got a book and a movie deal out of it...and it all started when she was thirty. I walked in the theatre waiting to feel inspired, however as the movie went on, I became riddled with a sinking feeling in my gut. Doubt consumed every part of me and I begun to compare myself to Julie Powell's success.

Dear God, how about if nothing becomes of me?

Sitting antsy in my chair I practically tripped over my own feet as I scurried out of the theatre on the verge of tears when the credits made their appearance.

Gotta get out of here.

Somehow in my wound up state, I managed to body check a girl sending her popcorn to the heavens.

SORRY!

Finally escaping the theatre, I decided it was time for a drink. So taking myself to the nearest bar, I sat down and was greeted by Bubbly Booby, a twenty something year old blonde bartender who wore her best fake smile. Asking her for a glass of wine, she leaned in at my watery eyes and said...

Men, they're just not worth it honey. Wanna cigarette?

I'm good, just the wine thanks.

I was beside myself. An attractive girl sitting alone at a bar and everyone automatically assumes I'm a poor helpless victim who's upset over a man. This is not about a man "honey". I looked around the bar and noticed I had caught the eyes of several men sitting close by, one of which who winked at me in his pathetic attempt to be empathetic. Seeing their prey, I could see the hunter's instinct in their eyes. I don't need a man at this very moment thanks.

Realizing I didn't feel like having Bubbly Booby or her desperate male sidekicks as company, I gulped down my wine, paid my way and began my mission home feeling nothing short of sorry for myself. This was turning out to be a terrible date. I was doubting myself, my ability to succeed and comparing myself to others who got a break. I've never been one to settle and patience certainly has never been a virtue of mine.

However there was something about that walk that started to cool me down. My path is different, I've been in school for far too long and now I'm being given a shot to actually get out there. Feeling a little less bruised by own self-pity, I was now only minutes away from home which is when I passed by the usual ladies on the corner.

Love your hair! Work it honey!

I smiled, and thought...damn straight, I am going to work it, because I can and nothing will stop me from succeeding.

I skipped up my front steps and just as I stepped foot in my apartment, I looked back at the door where my hot date with myself had started. It was then that I had invisioned my bad date standing at the door looking back at me. I realized I had a decision to make: I could chose to feel sorry for myself or leave this bad date behind.

So I did what I had to do...

You're pretty and sweet but I just don't have room for you in my life. You will only hold me back. I'm sorry there will be no second date...

It was then I shut the door, turned around and began to dream of the possibilities of the future.

Enter butterflies...

No comments: