Wednesday, September 30, 2009

And Then I Woke Up

So I have to confess...I lied to you. I didn't just eat a whole bar of Green & Black's: Raisin & Hazelnut Chocolate in one sitting but I also had a cheeseburger with fries two days in a row. And one of those days, I even added bacon. Yes, once in a blue moon, I indulge, but certainly not in excess. I believe in balance but lately, I've thrown it out the window. Emotionally, I was either a little black cloud of worry or a cranky bag that lost its marbles.

Not even for a second did I think maybe this had something to do with what I ate for the last two days.

In my past life as an Ad Exec, I suffered from depression, acne, weight gain and digestive issues. It wasn't until I realized that gluten was a direct result of how I looked and felt. After seeing a Nutritionist and Chinese Medical Doctor, I not only got my health and power back but I was able to eat small doses of gluten again (hence my career shift). For the first time in a while, I felt like I finally woke up.

So yesterday when I clutched onto my little black cloud like a purse, I realized there was a problem when I didn't look or feel so hot. Bloated, I walked around tugging uncomfortably at my jeans. Then while flipping through a new release at the bookstore, it happened...

I played the mini trumpet.

Mortified, I froze. My eyes quickly glanced from left to right hoping that the coast was clear. And there she was, sitting in her stroller staring wide-eyed at me. I knew she heard it. Our eyes locked for what seemed forever until...the smell.

I could blame it on the child, I thought. I mean those sugary O's can't be good for her.

Closing my book, I made my exit and thought I'd let the little one go down for the fall. At that point I realized I had some damage control to do:

GLUTEN BE GONE
This includes grains such as: wheat, oats, rye, spelt, barley and kamut. This doesn't mean avoiding them forever but at least for 14-days. Gluten sticks in our intestines like glue and in Chinese Medicine it's damp-forming. It creates a swamp in our system and when in excess drags us down physically and emotionally. Even for those of us who can tolerate it, it should never be abused. Always top your plate with more greens than grains when possible.

BLUE-GREEN ALGAE (E3 Live - AFA)
Since my dark cloud wasn't matching my outfits anymore, I realized that I needed something to perk me up and help me out of this funk. E3 Live which contains AFA (Aphanizomenon flos-aquae) has research to back up it's mood-elevating properties and mixed with a little coconut water and vanilla extract, I was beginning to feel better already. Yes, it's that good.

BITTER ME UP BABY
Try adding bitters to your diet like arugula, watercress and radicchio. Bitters will work on drying up the dampness and the bitter taste alone directly fuels the heart meridian and lately, mine has been a wee bit tender. If you don't have bitter greens available, taking one full syringe of a bitters tincture with lemon water several times per day is another great alternative.

In the meantime, our lives are filled with highs and lows and sometimes it's difficult to maintain perspective and see the potential rather than the obstacle in front of us. So just when I thought that my fiery side was in a coma that left the rest of me tired, the answer came to me. My body spoke up and then I woke up.

Sometimes we need to become a little more in tune with ourselves and listen carefully to what our bodies are telling us so we know what to do.

Playing the mini trumpet
Solution: Sexy Food Therapy and when in doubt, blame the little one in the stroller.

No comments: