I digress…
We climbed together and reached out our hands to others who fell. Reaching the point, we stared at the view from a part of the world around us and realized how far we’ve come. Together we linked arms and smiled as flashes captured memories and the powerful forces that were created. We were a community of superheroes that all came here for a purpose.
Leaving behind the rat race back home.
Wanting to realize that we are good enough.
To escape the guilt of once leaving someone behind.
To heal from losing a loved one.
To gain strength after a divorce.
Every morning we were told as we stretched and breathed, Who you are today could very well be different than who you were yesterday.
Ya right, I thought on Day 1, I still feel like the scattered pieces that I was yesterday.
But as days passed, bodies stretches and breath rediscovered, I realized she was right. As women from all over the country and at different ages, we were all evolving together.
Filing out of the van after our hike, we made our way back to the town which was buzzing with a Polenta Festival. Yes, you heard me right, a festival all about polenta. Several months ago there was one for broccoli. Imagine if the children of North America were raised this way, how would it have shaped us?
Lining up we got our polenta fix slathered with homemade tomato sauce.
Running sideways to the van, I was quickly driven with the other half of our group off to the local cooking school, Gusto Borgo. Ariving in a little home in the valley, we were faced with Paola, a large Italian woman who’s stern frown frightened us. We could be for dinner, I thought.
Looking down at the menu in fear of making eye contact, I paid close attention at the menu for the day.
Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli
Seared aubergines with parmesan and homemade tomato sauce
Chicken cooked in a white wine reduction with black olives and rosemary
Tiramisu
Together by hand, we folded our tiramisu, made our pasta by hand, seared chicken which was from their farm and made tiramisu all the while licking our espresso soaked finger tips when Paola wasn’t looking.
Sitting down to eat, we broke bread together dipping it in the caramelized wine reduction that cradled the chicken.
That evening we opened up to each other and shared the heart aches of yesterday and gave thanks for today.
Sometimes we present the world with a face to protect ourselves.
Sometimes through sharing sexy food, a safe space is created for others to open up and share.
Sometimes even a stranger can help open our hearts...
...given that we let people in.
And sometimes a community of people can join and make a world of impact.
Together we were on a mission to heal, connect, rediscover and appreciate our Superheroes within…and together we were getting there.





1 comment:
Wow, sniff sniff.
Post a Comment