Monday, September 28, 2009

Closet Princess or Princess Proud?

If you call a woman a princess, you probably won't get the most positive response. However to their girl friends, many of these women will in fact, call themselves a princess. It's almost as if the only person who can call a woman a princess are those who are just like them. So what's going on? Somewhere in the depths of the medieval forest, the fairies in their pixie dust and the babbling brook, the word, princess fell down the rabbit hole...wait, that's Alice in Wonderland.
Are we all just a bunch of closet princesses who should instead be princess proud?
There are several definitions that may help to explain things. Some sources say that a princess is a hereditary head of state, while others will classify it as a term of endearment. Though what's most common today and the possible reason why you might get a sharp look is because a princess is more often known to be vain or spoiled.
[Melissa jumps in to save the day and lands with lunge]
Yes, my princess alter ego has a superhero cape and is about to save the day. **DING!** with my magical wand...and here I go...
Just like Cinderella, Snow White, and Princess Fergie, princesses all have varying personalities. Here are some different types that I have categorized out of the visual and auditory extensive research that I've done in my 31 years of existence.
THE GOLD TOOTHED PRINCESS
She's one hard bargainer and certainly puts up one hell of a fight. She wants it her way or the highway and will nickle and dime a man for everything he's got. She will boss him around, snap her fingers at people and will huff and sigh when things don't go her way. Even around friends, she has to be center of attention and will hardly let anyone get in a word edgewise. Life is on her schedule and she could care less for anyone else but herself.
[Melissa gives a one-two, wraps this princess in her cape and the Gold Toothed Princess is down!]
THE RIVER PRINCESS
Born from a river far, far away, these women are all from the same waters. So when they want something, they'll turn on the tears and there it is...a river like you've never seen it. They'll make you feel guilty when you resist until finally, you break and they've won. They tell you sob stories about their life, dwell in the past and blame all of life's misfortunes for their present outcome. Don't be fooled and succumb to their manipulative ways. These women know exactly what their doing to nestle themselves comfortably in your wallet.
[Melissa pushes this princess into the pool that the Greek God, Narcissus fell into.]
DADDY'S LITTLE PRINCESS
This little princess is spoiled and runs all the way back up to daddy for more money when she needs it. Being used to a flood of old money, this little princess has no concept of responsibility. She expects to be taken for expensive dinners all the time rather than to catch the odd movie rental. She's finicky with her meals, will make a million changes to what she's ordering and will push her food around with a pout. Her friends are much the same, have known her all her life and in their adult life still have daddy paying off their credit cards. This little princess doesn't need a wand because the high shrill of her voice gets her what she wants and when she wants it.
[Melissa cuts up daddy's credit card and this little princess drops to the ground and turns into a puddle of her own tears.]
THE SMART SEXY PRINCESS
This little princess knows what she wants and is determined to get it. Knowing her self-worth, she needs a man who will appreciate her. Her idea of a good man includes paying for dinner, opening the door and getting out to pump gas in her car. This little princess does like attention from her mate and enjoys the occasional foot rubs. She likes to appear nice and tidy and have her hair reasonably in place. She likes the finer things in life but can rough it out from time to time like a hero. She respects a man with initiative but can certainly take some on her own. She'll make you the best dinner that her hands and heart can offer but will throw out any ideas of the future with you if you don't clean up after. This little princess doesn't put up with shit.
[Melssa high-fives this princess.]
Wait...I just high-fived myself.
So this past weekend, when I was invited over to Paella's housewarming party, I got in tune with my inner princess, brought over my favourite bottle of wine and got a little dressed up. I was having a good time until I realized the strange vibe that was floating in the air that evening amongst people. It became even more bizarre when I ran into Mr. Hollywood who hardly said two words to me...even after a brief encounter following my run last week. While, I understand, our time together was never anything serious, I have to admit, I was a little insulted. Somehow, I felt discarded. If moving on entirely wasn't evident before, it certainly was now. Unfortunately, sometimes, even a princess has to fall face first in her own shit before she realizes the lesson that's right in front of her.
[Dusting off her tiara]
So the next day when I arrived home from sleeping over at my girl friend's house, I sat down and needed a quick bite...
SEXY BLACK & TAN TAPAS
Ryvita crackers (or thinly sliced French bread)
3 tbsp tahini (black or white tahini)
1 tsp Vega EFA Antioxidant Oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
Roasted red peppers (as needed to top each cracker)
Goat cheese (as needed)
Chopped fresh organic parsley

Blend tahini, oil and maple syrup together either in a mini food processor or by hand. Spread mixture on cracker and top with roasted red pepper and goat cheese. Sprinkle liberally with
chopped parsley.
I love tahini, which is a creamy paste ground from hulled sesame seeds. It's a high protein spread that is used commonly in the Middle East and here I have offered two different varities, both the black and white.
If you use the black tahini which isn't as easy to find, you will need to add more maple syrup to the mix since black tahini has a sharp taste. Black tahini nourishes kidney yin, which is where our life essence in Chinese Medicine is stored. When the yin is depleted, we come across problems such as premature graying, general weakness, dizziness and in some cases, a low pitched tinnitus. Black tahini is also excellent for those with low iron or also known as a form of blood deficiency in Chinese Medicine. By fortifying our kidneys we fortify the emotion attached to it which is our will. And in my case, my will these days hasn't been all the strong...Mr. Hollywood...case and point.
If you use the regular white tahini (which has more of a yellow-tan colour) that you'll find readily available in stores, you will nourish the spleen which in Chinese Medicine governs digestion. It will help to lubricate the intestines and move the bowels. Both the yellow and black varieties are high in calcium and have a decent amount of tryptophan, an amino acid which is a precursor to the feel-good hormone, serotonin. So eat up.
After feeling good with my little snack, I was off to face the rest of my day. As I went from place to place, I realized that sometimes I disregard my own advice...we all do. But with nourished will in my belly and a hard lesson swirling in my head and dragging my heart, I realized, I'm a princess and I deserve more than this.
So with that, I called him up, made my view known to him, politely heard his side and consciously decided not to waste any more energy in this. Afterall, I'm a princess and not a closet one at that. I certainly can be loud and proud on this one. So like a lady and as a princess, I shut the phone, put on my sunglasses and drove myself into the sunset as my own knight...or shall I say dame in shining armor.
**DING!**
[The End...of Mr. Hollywood]

No comments: