My taste buds happily screamed over the best espresso, creme caramel, risotto, pasta and wine that a girl could muster. Yes, I probably ate way too many carbs, but it was still unprocessed sexy food. Now back in Toronto, I noticed that I didn't gain a pound, but rather lost a couple (although all the walking and lugging my suitcase around probably helped too).
Thinking back, I melted at the passionate goodnight kiss in Florence from Mr. Bling. Sadly, I had to go back to Rome, but was surprised when he took the train all the way to Rome to spend a mere two hours with me for dinner before having to catch a train back to Florence. Impressive.
Then were the Superheros from Casperia. I learned from them and Katrina Brunsden, a wonderful healer and yoga teacher. They all gave me strength and opened me up to accepting and welcoming the future. Together we cried, laughed and ate together and I'm forever thankful.
Lastly I couldn't forget that I came here alone. I did it even though I was supposed to be here with the Intellect but came regardless of our break-up. Accompanied by only my thoughts and curiosity, I sought out Italy for search of self and perspective. Rather than falling victim to my mind I became it's master and together we became best friends versus enemies.
So as the days were coming to a close, I thought on my last day in Florence that I'd end it off with a bang. I was told about a cozy bar/lounge called, Slowly in Florence that was all of four weeks old.
The DJ then filled the room with musical energy and the beautiful patrons moved with their arms extended and their eyes closed. The night was hypnotic.
But my days were drawing to a close and responsibility set in. I couldn't stay out too late and with Tommaso's business card in hand (in case I ran into trouble), I walked my way back to my hotel and fell fast asleep.
[Scene fades to black]
The next day I had some time before I would have to leave to Termini station and took a stroll down the street from my hotel to one of my favourite wine bars in Florence, Gola e Cantina . Several nights previously I had an amazing home-made pasta dish with a garlic and olive oil sauce with fresh parmigiana and shaved truffles.
The Intellect.
Throwing myself into a store to hide, I clutched my hand on my chest.
[The world mutes and gives way to only the sound of my heart thumping]
I can't breathe...
[Thump...thump, thump]
I can't breathe...oh God, I CAN'T BREATHE.
[Thump...thump, thump]
This can't be happening. I thought he wasn't going to be here until November. Out of all places in Italy...this can't be happening...
My breath became shallow and with one hand on my chest and one over my mouth, I stood there with shakey wide eyes and tried to regain myself.
What do I do, what do I do...
I could walk over and say hi, but it didn't end on good terms. I was deceived and I was crushed and this wasn't a time for reconciliation. This was a time for me. Italy was mine and at that moment he had no right being there, especially being minutes away from my hotel.
Reaching my shakey eyes around the corner, I looked again thinking, maybe he's just a figment of my imagination...
But it wasn't. There sitting with a smug look on his face, it was him, the man who broke my heart and could smile about it.
So while I looked back on this vacation and reminisced about the past 16 days, I realized I couldn't leave Italy and allow him to take a piece of what I gained from being there. No longer would I allow him to occupy any more of my heart. The universe was testing my strength now...
He can't hurt you anymore Melissa.
So I did the only thing I knew I had to do. I took in a deep breath and walked...
...the other way and never looked back.
[Sound of the streets and the world resumes.]
And that's when I looked straight into tomorrow's eyes and for the first time became fearless.





No comments:
Post a Comment