Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Weight Lifting Into Acceptance

No matter how much you want to deny it, no matter how much you want to resist the urge, you just can't. Sometimes it becomes so overwhelming that you might even become a little scared, maybe even a little turned on. It isn't until you completely surrender, that you're able to fall into acceptance and the weight is lifted.
When I got a dramatic message from an old friend, I knew something was up. He needed to see me. He needed to tell me something and it had to be in person. His whole life had apparently taken a complete 180.
So as I got out of my car, I began to walk up to the restaurant and saw him outside pacing with his hands shoved in his pockets and shoulders to his ears.
He looks nervous, I thought.
My palms started to sweat and I had no idea what life had showed my good friend, but I wondered, Did he get someone pregnant? Is he sick?
I knew all about the universe's antics. In all of two years I was engaged, bought a home, left, sold the home and everything I owned, moved to the Estrogen Den and went back to school. Yes, change and I know each other well.
Hey buddy, what are you doing? Why aren't you waiting for me inside? It's freezing out here.
I need to tell you something...something before we go inside.
What is going on? Why are you being so dramatic? What happened? You're smitten aren't you?
Mel, you have no idea...
I knew it. He had caught the bug and now he was ready to have a big fat Italian wedding and a whole five bambinos.
That's great! Who is she? Do I know her?
Mel, I'm seeing a man...I'm gay.
[Freeze frame]
I know what you're going to ask...and no, I never knew.
Never even an inkling did I suspect it. There standing in front of me was my good friend who had always been Mr. Non-Committal with women, the joker and who I thought was sewing his wild oats ever since dropping a substantial amount of weight. Little did I know that there was still more weight to unload.
[Unfreeze frame]
That's amazing.
Really?
Of course, what did you think I was going to say?
Wrapped up in the intensity of fear and happiness, my friend looked lighter than I had ever seen him before. Finally escaping the cold, we went into the restaurant, ordered some wine and sat down for dinner. After that much energy being thrown around, we were famished. But it was the end of the day and it was past 8pm - hardly the time to eat. Generally my last meal tends to be comprised of two things: protein and greens (surprise, surprise). After a full week of emotional chaos and ending that time of the month I was feeling a little tired or as we'd say in Chinese Medicine...blood deficient. We use up blood when we're stressed, when we exercise too hard, when we abuse our bodies and after our menses every month. I knew that having a little red meat and greens would help to rebuild my blood and not make me bloated if I were to eat protein and starch (bad food combining). I needed all the energy I could muster. My buddy deserved that much. He needed my full attention and I wanted to know everything, meet his new boyfriend and find out how they met.
There at the restaurant, we got teary-eyed, laughed nervously and caught up. Even though I've known him for almost seven years, he seemed like a completely new person. He was lighter, happier and on his way to becoming fearless. No longer did he feel like he had to hide or make excuses to himself for who he thought he should be. Instead, he took on all the courage he could muster and came face to face with himself. Now happily swimming in acceptance and gratitude, he not only introduced me to the new him, but also was being reacquainted. Finally he found the true love he was looking for...in himself.

No comments: