Thursday, December 31, 2009

Year in Review: Love, Sex & Food

Meditate, work out more, do more yoga, find love, travel to great places and write more. While I can't find my New Year's Eve resolutions from last year, you can bet your bottom dollar that this is what it said. So before creating my list for 2010, I had to wonder about my year in review on love, sex and food.
I asked for love and well, I got it. And yes, my entries became a little less frequent. Somehow, I started to lose sight of who I was because all I cared about was him. With that said, I felt inspired to cook because since food is love to me, I wanted to share it with the person I loved and who ended up hurting me the most...The Intellect. I clearly remember the day I made, Red Quinoa & Job's Tear Coco Berry Love. Waking up one morning, I served him this bowl of goodness. As he put the spoon in his mouth, he closed his eyes and savoured. He was sold and I got into his heart and soon after he got into mine.
Realizing that he was becoming a permanent staple at the Estrogen Den with me and my three roommates at the time, we decided to shack up and get our own place before we were Europe bound to travel, practice medicine, paint and write. We moved into the Batcave in Ghettoville and went through our own struggles. Coming home one day, I told the Intellect that I was off to Trinidad with my best friend, Dutchy for a much needed vacation. But upon returning home, I savoured him more than I did before I left. So I decided to make my famous Sexy Roasted Lemon Bird. We were both in heaven licking our fingers of lemony peppery goodness and then for the rest of the night, couldn't keep our hands off each other.
Sometimes, life takes an unexpected turn for the worst and the Intellect and I were done. I hardly had an appetite and zero desire to cook. Thankfully, a plate of Broken Heart Almond Banana Muffins saved me.
But I picked myself up and soon enough the waves that came were less frequent and I began to date a little to a get the kind of touch that I missed. I built myself back emotionally and physically with a heavy diet of greens, like my Sexy Green Connection
and occasionally fed my sweet tooth with Cacao Sexy Rice Krispies before being dragged out on a night on the town by Dutchy. It was time to heal, but the waves still came.
The apartment still had memories of us and I was now living there alone and barely finished school. With Italy just around the corner, I became desperate and went back to waitressing to make a couple extra bucks and realized I just didn't belong. I became fearful, but soothed those fears with my Sexy Seaweed Salad and soon after left the service industry...for good.
The days drew closer and I knew I'd have to leave the Bat Cave. Freaked by the the idea of moving back home after so long of living on my own, I didn't think clearly and got my first ever set of stitches (to my pinky finger) and a shiner to boot (a wine cork incidient on my birthday). Living back with Momma Bear & Mr. Soprano in Cookie Cutterville has not been ideal, but I laced up my shoes and ran as much as I could to maintain some balance. But time flew and before I knew it I was off to Italy without him and in search of some peace.
Through plates of pasta, risotto, gelatto, espresso and a funny little pastry called Grandfather's balls,I fell in love with everything Italy had to offer...including the beautiful men.I met wonderful, strong women who I bonded, stretched and did yoga with every morning. An actress from Australia was like a soul sister to me.

So when we parted and said we'd stay in touch, we knew we would...and until today, we have. Italy fed the part of my soul that I thought was dead...and somehow, I did it on my own, without relying on a man to fill that void. So when I saw the Intellect sitting on a patio in Florence on my last couple of days, I knew my strength was being tested. But I walked the other way...
This last year has been emotionally trying, but food has been my love and has gotten me through every ounce of it. I can't say that I'm bullet proof now, because I still have my moments but looking back, I'm given perspective on...
...the wonderful places I've travelled...
...the lessons I've learned when I've quieted my mind and did a little more yoga...
...that running has been my saviour and my Green Recovery Shake is tastier than it looks...
...that even though I lost love, I would do it again, just to be able to have experienced it...
...and that I actually did everything I set out to do in 2009.
So with that said, in 2010, I want to be a little more patient and continue to build the person I'm meant to be and achieve better balance in my life. I'd like to make sure that I never lose sight of the vision I've created and remember to appreciate life and those around me. And lastly, I'd like to set a resolution that finding love and everything else that I've ever dreamed of will come if I just trust that I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.
Peace, love and Happy 2010.

No comments: